Easy Brass and Silver Lacquering Kit
Our exclusive kit with everything you need to polish and protect your brass bed or silver candlesticks! Includes 4 oz Mass brass polish, set of nitrate gloves, 15 x 15 microfiber polishing cloth, 12 oz ProtectaClear spray (covers 60 square feet), instructions.
Details and Specs
1. Remove any old lacquer or coatings (if any) with xylene or lacquer thinner. You can test for old coatings by trying to clean a small area. If the brass or silver cleans easily with polish, then there is probably no protective coating on the metal.
2. We recommend taking a brass bed apart to apply the coating but some people polish it intact. This is a personal preference. Sealing individual pieces ensures a more complete protective finish.
3. Note: If an acid based polish like Brasso or Tarnex is used, the acid must be neutralized with EZ-Prep Cleaner or baking soda and water. Then rinse the neutralizer off the brass with plain water and dry. Wipe with a clean solvent like xylene or denatured alcohol (available at hardware stores) to remove any contaminants.
4. Polish the brass bed using small amounts of our Maas polish (made for brass and silver), the polishing cloth, and our nitrate gloves. Do not use abrasives as brass is very soft and will scratch easily. MAAS polish is an excellent polish and is not acid based so it does not need neutralizing.
5. Then apply the clear spray in two thin coats with an hour in between coats. Let dry and you’re done!